Nathan E. Hessler
Managing Partner Nathan E. Hessler is a Cleveland business attorney with deep expertise in strategic initiatives to help his clients achieve desired outcomes.
Nathan E. Hessler is Managing Partner of Wegman Hessler and leads the Corporate and Business law practice. With a career spanning from product liability defense to commercial litigation to business law, Nathan is uniquely qualified to support the long-term success of his clients, using legal discipline to solve business problems. His extensive experience allows him to advise clients on a wide variety of business matters, including complex business arrangements, manufacturing law (ex., dealer agreements, international distribution, pricing policy and corporate strategy), construction law, corporate governance, succession planning, buy / sell agreement design, and a wide range of day-to-day commercial matters.
As trusted advisor to both nonprofit and privately held organizations from $200,000 to $2 billion, Nathan is known for the thorough, consultative approach he takes with clients. He makes it a priority to take the time to fully understand the facts and goals before crafting a comprehensive (and often creative) approach to reach desired outcomes or to avoid future concerns. With a keen awareness for the ramifications of various business and legal initiatives, he masterfully coordinates those initiatives to best serve his clients, effectively advising and protecting those facing legal and competitive challenges. Moreover, he helps resolve problems before they develop into potentially crippling disputes.
As part of his commitment to a high level of service, Nathan proactively orchestrates outside expertise to support his clients’ best interests. This includes assembling teams of trusted advisors to address longer-term issues such as succession planning, corporate and personal estate planning, real estate development and construction, shareholder and employee matters, wealth protection, and more.
- State of Ohio, 1995
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1997
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2004
Memberships / Honors / Awards
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America© - Commercial Litigation
- Cleveland Lutheran High School Association, former Board Member and President
- Boy Scouts of America Troop 41 (former Assistant Scoutmaster)
- Building Hope in the City (former President and Board Member)
- Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital (former Board of Trustees Member)
- Cleveland Clinic Lutheran Hospital (former Finance Committee Chairman and Board of Trustees Member)
- Cleveland Lutheran High School Association (former President, Treasurer and Board Member)
- Cleveland Lutheran West High School Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame, November 2021
- Lakewood Country Club (Chairman of the Legal Committee)
- Lakewood Country Club (former President, Treasurer and Board Member)
- Lutheran Chaplaincy Service (former Board Member)
- Lutheran Children's Aid & Family Services (former President and Board Member)
- Lutheran Elderhood Foundation (former Board Member)
- Messiah Lutheran Church (former Chair of Administration & Finance Committee)
- Messiah Lutheran Church (Member, Investment Oversight Committee)
- MTD Products Inc. (Member of the Executive Leadership Team for the Americas, primary liaison between MTD’s in-house legal and business teams, and advising on business operations, strategy, and future growth)
- Northeastern Ohio Synod ELCA (Advisor)
- Saint Ignatius High School Swim Team Booster Club (Treasurer)
- Theta Chi fraternity (member)
- J.D., Valparaiso University, 1995
- B.A., Valparaiso University, 1992